Sunday, January 29, 2012

Work

As someone who has spent much of my life finding value in my intelligence and my successes, there have been some rather difficult things about being an intern with RUF. It is nearly impossible to measure success in this job, and when I try, I often evaluate myself as not being terribly successful. Somehow I have found myself called to a job that very rarely uses my primary set of talents, so there are moments when I struggle to find validation that I am doing well. In this, however, I am seeing great growth in myself; I am learning to believe that I am not my successes. I am doing well if I am working for the kingdom of God and living in light of his calling.

That growth is still trying fairly unsuccessfully to permeate another area of my life--the area where I find great validation in the way others view my successes. That, too, has been a great struggle as I have worked as an RUF intern. As it's not exactly a common job, I find myself quite regularly explaining to people what my job entails, and it is unbelievably disheartening when a person's followup comments or facial expression make it clear that they don't see what I'm doing as a viable job. My need for approval and the value that I place on success clearly make this worse, but it's hard to imagine that there is anyone for whom that would not be a blow to their confidence.

I was talking about this with my lovely roommate Ashley last night, and she revealed to me that she often feels the same way. She graduated in psychology with honors and is now working at the county court. And when people ask her what she does for a living, she always feels like people are disappointed in her. Another blow to the confidence.

Our other roommate Meredith didn't get to participate in said conversation as she is out of town currently, so I can't speak to her feelings on the subject, but she is a college graduate with an animal science degree who is working as a dog groomer. And here is the thing that I admire about dear Meredith: she is not working her dream job, but when she talks about work, it is so clear that she is doing everything she can to make sure that her dogs are groomed excellently. It hurts her when her co-workers do not put in the same effort that she does. She sees her job as important, and she does it to the very best of her ability.

I know the same is true of Ashley. She works very hard, and does her job well. And I believe that says far more about their success and their character than their actual job title does.

None of the three of us is doing what we expected we'd be doing after we graduated from college. None of us has a high-paying, glamorous, respected job. But each of us is serving God's Kingdom through our jobs that are undeniably important, if not glamorous; through the relationships that we have in our workplaces; and through the way they (and I pray I) do our work to the best of our ability.

I have certainly been guilty of making a judgment of someone based on their job title, but I would like to challenge myself along with you, dear reader. Take care that you respect people working in all fields. Their work is important, and if they are working an uncomfortable, low-paying job, they likely deserve your respect all the more. God doesn't bless doctors over McDonald's employees, professors over garbage men, pastors over janitors, or janitors over pastors. Let's take care that we don't either.

Meredith, Ashley, and I will all change jobs someday. None of us plan to do what we're doing permanently. But I pray with all my heart that when we look to our next job, we won't choose based on money or glamor or respect. I pray that we will go where God is calling us to serve his kingdom, and that we will do that work excellently.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea, as someone who completely understands your position, I really appreciate you taking the time to write. Also, I read your blog. I hope that gives you motivation to continue writing primarily because I feel like you articulate things well and process through them in a logical, easy to read manner :)

    It is difficult to find your identity in the internship. I feel like it's such a short amount of time that I am not completely giving my life to it, but it's long enough for me to desire some sort of permanence. I weekly (read: daily) struggle with knowing whether I am doing my job or not, whether people should really be supporting me or not, whether I'm making an impact or not, etc.

    I hope that I can encourage you by saying that I am sure that RUF Nebraska needs you and I'm thankful that you are there. I have been dwelling on Ephesians 3:14-21 lately. It's great knowing that God's power is at work within us, not matter what our job is, and that our entire identity rests on what Christ has done, no matter what our job is. I'm praying for you.

    I'd love to talk to you about this more at L'Abri. Sorry my post became so long.

    Also... sometime you should post about the idea of ministry being "better" or more spiritual in God's eyes (and by that I mean the false misnomer that people think is true).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As someone who has spent much of my life finding value in my intelligence and my successes, there have been some rather difficult things about being an intern with RUF. It is nearly impossible to measure success in this job, and when I try, I often evaluate myself as not being terribly successful."

    Girl, I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU. This is one of the reasons why the internship has been so incredibly wonderful, valuable, and hard (all at the same time!) for me — knowing and believing that my value is not determined by what I do, the amount of people I get to large group group, or the number of girls who don't cancel on me for one-on-ones. My value is in Jesus and the work He has done! Easy to say ... hard to really believe and live it out.

    Thank you for your honesty. And welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been times, recently in my life, where I have put value in money, the security of a job or business, and in trying to be successful, caring only about what others think of me, image, ect. A few weeks back, after talking about my job, ect. with a friend, it just slapped me in the face-Neal, what are you trusting in? All this pursuit of money, success, & being noticed leaves me feeling empty and convicted. I do love what I do, and I thank God for the opportunity to do it. I strive to do my best, set goals, ect, but when it comes down to it, if I am not doing my work to serve and honor Christ, it is no good. It comes down to Christ, and seving him in everything we do. I have to remind myself of this each morning when I wake up-I see the sinful desires of my heart on a regular basis. Thank you for sharing & reminding me of this!

    ReplyDelete